Meebo

Friday 3 December 2010

Producer Omen explains how he hooked up with with Dre

With credits going back over a decade with Ludacris, Fabolous and Memphis Bleek, Omen has had a great year with Drake. Get the scoop, and hear how he introduced Dr. Dre to the Toronto star.

By no means is Sid “Omen” Brown a new face to the Hip Hop scene. From linking up with artists like Fabolous and Memphis Bleek in their earlier days to nabbing a Grammy in 2007 working on Ludacris’ album Release Therapy to joining Drake on his blossoming career path, the Harlem-based producer has made his rounds and then some. Still, Omen continues to keep his pulse on the rappers of tomorrow as evidenced by his collaborations with Diggy Simmons, XV, and Vado.

Below is the part where he talks about Dre.

Dr. Dre Comes Calling: “At one point this producer working with Dr. Dre, I would say this is the earliest part of ’08, like January, and basically Dr. Dre was working on Detox. He was like, “Do you have anything for Dre? You got joints? They got hooks? It don’t matter.’ I said, ‘I’ll send out one track that I was gonna use for my album but I think it might sound good for Detox called ‘Overdose on Life.’ He’s like, ‘Cool, send it.’ So I sent it, and he literally called me that same night. He’s like, ‘Yo, Dre wants the Pro Tools files, and who’s that rapper?’ And at that time Drake was the only rapper on it. They’re like, ‘We want to fly him out so he can work with Dre.’ So I call up 40, I call up Drake and told them the news and they were like, ‘Wow, are you serious?’ They got flown out there and stayed for a couple months. From that point on I was wondering what happened with the ‘Overdose’ record. It was like a month [later], so I was like you know what, I should throw this shit out. If I sent Pro Tools files to his producer, I don’t know what’s gonna happen to the stems. So I leaked it, and honestly I think when it hit the blogs heavy, for Mickey and Travie and Drake, they had names, but it helped them surface a lot more on the blogs because of that record.”

For the full interview  - http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/dxnext/id.188/title.dxnext-omen

 

3 comments:

  1. alex da kid talks about i need a doctor
    http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1653490/20101202/eminem.jhtml

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^^where does he talk about 'i need a doctor' on the link u provided? I dont see it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i found the correct link and posted it. Cheers anyway Joey.

    ReplyDelete