Meebo

Tuesday 14 December 2010

Dre Trying To Finish "Detox" In Detroit With Eminem

Dre talks to XXL magazine about trying to complete Detox with Em and taking risks in his career.

We may be approaching a decade since we first heard about Detox, but progress is being made. Andre "Dr. Dre" Young has released an official single in "Kush, " complete with a video. Shortly after "Kush" leaked, another track called "I Need A Doctor " featuring Eminem leaked as well. In his upcoming interview in XXL magazine, Dre revealed that he's spent some time in Detroit with Em trying to finish the album.

"Yeah, that’s the only reason why I’m here" Dre said when asked if Detox was actually coming. "I’m out here in Detroit, getting some work done with Em on the project. I’ve been out here for about two and a half months. Yeah, that’s it. I’m tryna get it done. I’m really feeling it now. My energy has been back and forth with the record, tussling with doing it out of obligation, as opposed to doing it because I really feel it. My feelings about it have been going up and down. Now I’m in that place where I’m really feeling it, and it’s coming out right. It’s like, Yeah, I’m excited about it."

Dre continued to talk about his caucasian protege, and the risk of signing a white emcee. "Yeah, throughout my career, I’ve always tried to take certain risks. Even at the beginning, with “Fuck Tha Police.” I’ve always tried to take certain risks, and as far as Em goes, I always felt like nobody can deny it’s good. I feel like, if I hadn’t met Em or we hadn’t linked up, he would eventually have become a success anyway. Because he’s so talented. I was just fortunate enough to meet him first and open the door for him. As far as the race thing goes, when I heard Em for the first time, I didn’t even know he was White. I just knew I wanted to work with him. And that kind of actually made it better for me, because it was so different. As a creator and innovator, nothing can beat that, and that’s all I was looking at. It was a new and creative thing that sounds different and looks different, and we got along. We had fun making those records in the early days, and still. We still have the same energy today that we had the first day we went in the studio. And we still have that level of passion for it."

7 comments:

  1. no offence uzee ,im happy that kush is a real banger , but im sort of not happy that after 10 years of waiting ,the perfectionist dr dre could not produce his comeback single all he could do is mix it ,its a shame relly dont you think ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. shame on you uzee for not not publishing my comment and shame on dre that didnt produce his comback single ,he is a perfectionist isnt he

    ReplyDelete
  3. For chronic 2001 first single 'still dre' wasnt produced or written by dre either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. dr dre is not going to be a big force in hip hop no more even with detox, kanye west is the best producer right now

    ReplyDelete
  5. kanye will never be better than dre

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dre didn't even want "Kush" to be his first single. It was leaked and well received so he went with it. The comment about Kanye being a better producer than Dre is the craziest shit I've ever heard. Dre is the greatest ever. Period.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ^^I think it was intended to be released as the video shooting began before the track was leaked/released.

    ReplyDelete